Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Krishnan Guru-Murthy does Chris Morris impression

I have just watched the single most hilarious thing ever on Channel 4 News. If anyone can remember Chris Morris's The Day Today, there was an episode called War once where Morris interviewed a fictional British ambassador and Australian politician who had just negotiated a peace settlement, and proceeds to get them arguing again with Paxman-like questioning and makes them declare war on each other.

Krishnan Guru-Murthy on Channel 4 News has just done an almost identical thing with the Prison officers strike to the point that I almost actually pee'd my pants. First of all he had the Prisons Minister, David Hanson MP in the studio and established that the Government position was that this years pay deal was non-negotiable and that they would only discuss next years'.

Five minutes later he cut to the top bod from the Prisons Officers union who read a statement out about how the prisons officers were going back to work after they had agreed on further discussions with the Government. Guru-Murphy says to him, and I paraphrase, "well we just had David Hanson, the Prisons Minister on here and he says the pay for this year is non-negotiable". Can you guess what the Union bod did?

It was absolutely hilarious, genuinely brilliant in fact. The Union official started going on about how it was disgusting that the Government were carrying out negotiations via TV interviews and talking with forked tongues and threatened to go back on strike in protest. I really really hope that Krishnan Guru-Murthy's colleagues present him with a big wooden spoon, because it was simply the most amusing moment of real-life imitating satire!

Update: The Day Today clip (thanks to flashgordonz in comments). My memory of the exact details of the two people in the sketch was misplaced, was about a trade agreement, not a peace settlement.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...First of all he had the Prions Minister..."

I really hope that's a typo, and Labour haven't started in on ever more ministerial posts at DEFRA, dealing with the supposed causes of mad cow disease... ;)

flashgordonnz said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyX-CwHpAQ

LOL

dizzy said...

Isn't it annoying when you misspell a word but it spells another word :)

Sabretache said...

I think you'll find that's 'MURTHY'.

Irish he most definitely ain't.

James Higham said...

Reality TV - pity I'm living over here.

dizzy said...

Fixed the surname. Explains why I couldn't find a pic of him!

flashgordonnz said...

I'm sure I won't have to wait long to see this: someone will upload it to the interweb! I give it, oh, an hour?

Mountjoy said...

I'm disappointed I missed this C4 news item, but I await its arrival on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

Haha right on the money, was thinking about exactly the same clip while watching!

Chris Paul said...

KGM is doing a lot of this at the moment. Channel 4 News needs a new editorial broom and sadly KGM is seeming a bit too much news reader and not enough TV journalist at the moment. He keeps reverting to what he's said and what has been refuted.